Friday, August 14, 2009

P.E.I. laws do protect transgender community: Human Rights Commission

WAYNE THIBODEAU
The Guardian

A group that includes AIDS P.E.I., P.E.I. Native Council and the Abegweit Rainbow Collective is calling on the P.E.I. government to do more to protect transgender, transsexual and Intersex Islanders.

The group launched a petition Thursday calling on Attorney General Gerard Greenan to include “gender identity” to the provincial Human Rights Act.

But David Larter, executive director of the Human Rights Commission, says transgender Islanders are already protected under Section 13 of the Human Rights Act, which now includes a provision that says no person shall discriminate against an individual because of sex or sexual orientation. He said Ontario’s code does note that sex does include gender identity, which is not specifically spelled out in P.E.I.’s law.

Full Story

No comments:

Post a Comment